Friday, March 15, 2013

Kitchen Remodel

Ever since we moved into our house 9 years ago, I have dreamed of redoing our kitchen.  Not because I didn't like my kitchen but because I felt like we didn't use the space well and because I don't have enough storage for food, mixer, bread machine, crock pot etc. 
 
In hindsight, we should've reworked the plan a bit when we remodeled originally, but I was so overwhelmed by redoing an entire floor of a house, we simply painted and put the cabinets back in the same place. 
 
With interest rates so slow and me picking up hours last year we thought we might be able to swing a very simple remodel this year (ikea cabinets, inexpensive counters, etc...nothing fancy but sufficient for sure).  However, the combination of the 2% social security tax increase, a hefty increase in our property taxes, and an increase in insurance premiums pretty much made that impossible or too tight for us to swing. 
 
In complete honesty, I was super disappointed.  I had lots of conversations with myself about how blessed we are, our children are healthy, we have enough food, we have a lovely home, we have cars, we have jobs, etc. I mean we ARE BLESSED beyond measure.  I worked really hard to be content.  Then my super sweet husband who knew how I disappointed I was, said to me one night.  You know, you can't get new cabinets, move a wall, and all of that, but I could build you your pantry closet and increase your storage space.  That wouldn't be that expensive.... 
 
Oh how I love that man!!!  So we began talking about adding the closet that would be in the plan later.  Then I just casually asked if it might be possible to rework our existing cabinets into a bit of a more open plan.  So we began figuring out what configurations we could make with our existing cabinets.  Could we cut and reassemble our existing counter top in a way that would make more sense?  Then if we did that, would we be able to rework the floor enough to cover up holes?  What would be do about the wall paper border etc...
 
Well, a few weeks later, we have a plan.  It is very similiar to the kitchen plan we had designed for our new kitchen some day. There are a few modifications in that the cabinets aren't exactly the right combination of shelves/drawers, there are a couple of odd things in the setup, and there are no second ovens etc.  I will still have old or very inexpensive cabinets that will be painted.  It will not be opened up into our living room like we plan to do someday in the future. 
 
However, I will have the same amount of counter space, an island and a really good size pantry closet! So I am extremely thankful for a husband who is willing to think outside the box and labor away to make me happy.
 
It is kind of like a trial run on a new kitchen someday LOL!  It does require me to repaint my cabinets. I am not looking forward to that job, but I shall NOT complain. It also means my closet will most likely not have wallpaper border. It means I will have a couple of interesting floor areas, but we will make them as inconspicous as possible! Our lighting might be not quite what I would want someday, but again I am cool with that!  I am super excited, though, for the change and hopeful improvement in storage!
 
So this weekend, we begin the project! So I thought I should take some before pictures. I have posted them below. I will try to post as we go through the process. It will probably be a few weeks (or knowing us months) process repainting everything, removing and repairing some drywall, moving the cabinets, getting our counter top cut apart and edged, but it should be a great solution for now (and way way way cheaper than a new kitchen!!!)
 
So here are the before pictures:





 
 
Here is a drawing of what the new set-up will resemble (the table will be to the left where you see the desk and storage cabinet now in the pictures above).  This is actually one version of the of potential new kitchen someday. 

 
 
So let all of the painting begin.... (it will be worth it..I keep telling myself)!!! LOL 

No comments: